Friday, December 17, 2010

AN AWAKENING


Dear friend, I have reread the Gospels in my newfound confinement and the inscrutable conclusions that I have drawn are painfully disquieting ....


So states the bizarre missive that sits on my desk like a naked fuse. From the Boisset  psychiatric hospital where my long suffering friend Currado Malaspina is now taking the cure, lengthy manifestos and rambling disquisitions are springing from his pen with a stridency bordering on the erotic.

He has found religion, though I'm not quite certain toward which deity he directs his faith.

He frequently mentions Saint John Climacus, also known as John the Ladder, who from the Vatos Monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai lived a barren life of pious asceticism. The undeniably beautiful drawing above was sent to me recently, inscribed on the back with one of the 7th century monk's most curious aphorisms:

"He who is inclined to lust is merciful and tender-hearted: those who are inclined to purity are not so."

Currado has taken a physical detour which has unquestionably anchored him in a self-knowledge previously inaccessible.


No comments: